Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Girl On The Train - Book Review

I was travelling and I had finished reading the book I was carrying. So, I had to get a new book for my journey back home and this book happened. 

Rachel takes the same train to London everyday and while the train makes a stop at a signal that overlooks a stretch of cozy suburban homes, she observes the seemingly perfect life of a couple (whom she names Jess and Jason), until one day sees something that changes everything. Rachel is an alcoholic who can't get over the fact that her ex-husband, Tom left her for his present wife, Anna. She is also jealous that Tom and Anna is leading a happy life with their baby while she was not able to bear a child when she was married to Tom.  The book is told from the point of view of Rachel and partly from the point of view of Megan (Jess) and Anna (Rachel's ex-husband's wife). 

I'm sure people who commute from home to their work place and take the same train daily can relate to the first part of the book where you watch the same set of house and people daily that you feel like you know them and their routine closely, although you have no idea who they are, in reality. The struggles of an alcoholic is portrayed well in the book - the bitterness, helplessness. At times, the author have used Rachel's addiction to her advantage in tracing the story line. But that's fine, because the author has indeed created a fine story line. The book keeps you wondering till the end and the climax was totally worth it. 

I found the book to be well written and cleverly constructed. Right when you feel you know how the story is proceeding, you are thrown off the hook and I, for one, would have never guessed the suspense. I loved the little surprises that was coming my way. It is definitely a thriller, though a light read. While this book was supposed to last me for a couple of days, it didn't. I was too engrossed in the book and I just wasn't able to put it down. Each time I put the book down, I picked it up almost immediately to continue reading. That's how captivating the book was for me. Needless to say, I finished the book in two days and my mind could rest only after it was down.

Though the book is a thriller, it's a very simple book with no complexities. I loved this book to the extent that I am sure this is one of my best reads of 2016. And I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to read a thriller or actually to anyone for that matter! I picked the book only because of the reviews and I must say, it did stand upto its expectation. I'm glad I have a personal copy of this book!

P.s: You can click on the link below to buy the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment